Friday, June 14, 2013

Blacks, Hip Hop & The GOD Complex

The first time I heard a guy call another guy "God", I was a senior in High School. I was getting to know this guy, and he in school at UAPB.  One night, another guy walks in his room and in the midst of asking for something (like some noodles or something like that) He goes "Aye God....who you on the phone with?"  My friend responded, but once he got back to the phone, I asked "Did he just call you God?"

"Yea. I think it's a New York thing. They say "God" or "Son" a lot....I blame rappers"

Now, Badu told us in 1998 that "they" needed to call us by our names because we are God and we are made in that image.  Wu-Tang had been preaching the same thing since the early 90s.  I even think Biggie called himself "God" once or twice. And who can forget this image?

Nas "You Can Hate Me Now"

or this one?
Arguably one of his best albums...but I digress.
So, it's no doubt that as music gets more provocative and honest, we will get and continue to get images much like this one.
Kanye told ya'll early on who he was
Kanye, like others, has explained his reasons for naming his new album Yeezus, and for many, it's plausible and acceptable.  It seems that in 2013, you have more and more African Americans questioning God, religion, and our need to have a belief system.  Tyler the Creator and other members of Odd Future have made it known that they have a certain disdain for religion and for God, and more and more, rappers are taking on the mentality of omniscient behavior and a #YOLO mentality.  In an era of 5%ers, new Black Panthers, new militants, and atheist rappers, it's no wonder that certain images or phrases are being brought back to the mainstream in such a provocative way.  And interestingly enough, they actually have a bit of backing from the Holy Bible. 

Psalms 82:6
I have said "Ye are Gods....all of you are children of the Most High"

John 10:34-36
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 
If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came and Scripture cannot be set aside— 
What about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

I can see why some Christians and super believers would have issues, though. Christianity and those who believe like it never rip off anything and use it as their own or in their own way for their own interpretation, right?

Oh. Nevermind.


No comments:

Post a Comment